But now, my father doesn't speak much, and I am feeling strains on a relationship that had previously been growing stronger. When I call home and speak to him, and he doesn't even answer me, or when he sits there and stares at me silently, I feel as though we no longer understand each other, or are no longer trying to. It's too much. We're on different planes. Maybe we're forcing something that isn't there. But even if I imagined it before, the newfound closeness felt beautiful and real, and it was keeping me going. I was grateful that something good came out of this ordeal. What now?
Everyone says life goes on, but does it? What is life without my dad, living physically but not really living? What is life without my friends here? I know, I know. Really, I know (this is for you, Katie, if I show this one to you)! The answer is inside of myself.
I am supposed to love myself, to be comfortable with who I am, the good, the bad, the medium. Thing is, I love everyone else so much, I forget about loving myself. And that never seems to matter when everyone is here, because the companionship of people I love almost never fails to fulfill me. Even if it does not cancel out the sadness, it gives me a reason to keep on living. The struggle will be much harder alone.
But- deep breath- I'll survive.
No comments:
Post a Comment