Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I think my parents are--perhaps--on the verge of splitting up.

When I woke up this morning, everything felt better. And I had a good day with my best friend. It's not hard to come to terms with good things happening in her life because I do want them. And our relationship hasn't changed a bit.

Of course, the good day was ruined by my father, as has become a more and more frequent occurrence. This happens almost daily now. Tonight he blew up over a suit. A piece of fricken clothes...

I mentioned to my mom at dinner that one of my jackets needs two buttons sewed on. She pleasantly agreed to go look for buttons in our basement at some point. Suddenly, my father exploded with anger, for what seemed to be no reason at all. He was screaming at my mom for not sewing buttons on his suit yet. Then he spent the rest of dinner staring at his empty plate. He ignored anyone who tried to talk to him. I started to lecture him because I was tired of the crap, and told him he was being unpleasant. He told me it was none of my business and left the table, locked himself in his study, and later asked my mom if he could stay in the house for a few days before he left. He told her that she pushed him over the edge (over WHAT?! a few buttons on a suit?!). My mom says she thinks he's going crazy--literally. She semi-talked him out of leaving for now, that is, if I agree not to voice my opinion anymore when they are fighting. But WTF, it wasn't even about that. I wasn't trying to butt in where it wasn't my business. It WAS my business. If we are at the fricken dinner table and someone in the family is making dinner awkward or unpleasant for the rest of us because of his stupid, childish behavior, then YES, it's my business. And I'm not a kid anymore. I'm allowed to have a fricken opinion.

No comments: